ideas about OT

Before beginning OT school...

Before starting any school, most people have initial ideas about what it is going to be like, what they're going to learn, even things they're going to encounter. In almost every scenario, people's thoughts and perspectives change almost immediately after starting whatever program they have entered into.

For me, coming into OT school, I didn't know what to expect. I had certain thoughts about the career and reasons why I felt I belonged on this path, but as for what I would learn and change about myself and my ideas -- I had no idea what was coming.

In just the first five weeks I have learned the following about myself:
- Anatomy...WOW. Our bodies do amazing things and it ceases to amaze me.
- Living in a new place and finding your way around is never easy.
- Learning names of your classmates and professors is daunting.
- Grad school is much different than undergrad.

But as for OT, this career I was so sure I knew everything about, here's what I have learned:
- The profession focuses more on what the patient wants rather then on what the therapist deems right for them.
- We work on people's entirety, meaning OTs don't just focus on the area of trouble, we make he client's overall life better and more functional.
- OTs work on so many different types of teams to help their client's receive the best care possible.
- There are SO many opportunities and different areas of work to pursue - hospitals, outpatient, inpatient, pediatrics, hospice, mental health, specialty areas, and many, many more.
- I've also learned about the history, and what the projected future is of this career path.

I'm continuing to learn every day from my professors and my new classmates, which is great. As I continue on into the career, it is important for me to realize now, that this path I'm on requires me to always be learning. As I venture out into the field, I will still be learning. And that is so exciting to me! Always changing, always something new, never just the "same old, same old."

Stay awesome and learn something new today.

Sincerely,
The Young OTS


Comments

  1. I love the way you're already starting to think from the perspective of a lifelong learner :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mock Interview

Nutrition & Aging