Glyphs & Leadership

Glyph: a character, symbol, or picture with an agreed upon meaning to create a message or story.

Now, the above definition is not a professional one from Google, however, it is the best way to describe the glyphs we have created during our OT coursework. During our first year of OT school, my classmates and I completed individual glyphs based upon our meaning of what we thought leadership meant. The symbols came together to form a picture of a person. For example, if you see yourself as a leader, you should draw on your character an accessory. Over a year later we took those same descriptions and made a second picture. It is crazy how much your ideations can change over the course of a single year. 


Here are each of my glyphs, side by side; the left one from February 2018 and the right picture from July 2019. As you can see, my thoughts on what leadership is have changed in some ways, whereas in other concepts, they stayed the same. OT school has shaped and molded me to see leadership in my own way.

Differences between the two pictures:
One of the first things I noticed about my drawings was the different head shape. A round head indicates that I thought leadership stemmed from nurture over nature, while the triangle head shows that I now believe leadership is an inborn trait. In all reality, I think I believe a little bit of each is true, but having met many leaders in my class, in the community, and even individuals I previously knew, I can see why I now think the latter holds more truth. Another interesting piece I noticed was in my second picture I added a pair of glasses. This means that I feel that I have had more experience in leadership roles than most other individuals my age. At the beginning of the program, I was very shy and self conscious about my leadership efforts. As I have been in this program, I have had countless opportunities to display my leadership characteristics, and I have watched myself transform into a much better student, classmate, and future practitioner. 

Similarities between the two pictures:
A similar characteristics between the drawings is the fact that they are both wearing hats. This means that the way I approach leadership differently from when I first started school. I learn something new every day in this program or see something differently than I did before, therefore I know that both of these hats portray true feelings. I feel that being open to new ideas or approaches is very important to being an evidence-based OT practitioner in the future. In addition, both drawings show pointy ears, meaning that I believe leadership abilities do not require technology for success. I have met many individuals along my path who had such powerful leadership capabilities that they definitely didn't require technology's help to succeed.

Consider where you stand with your leadership skills and how you can use them to empower those around you. Knowing who you are and what you believe is very important for your confidence in your abilities. Thanks for listening!

Sincerely, 
The Young OTS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mock Interview

Nutrition & Aging