The Mock Interview

As our didactic coursework comes to an end, we had the opportunity to complete a mock interview with a faculty member. Not only did this provide the chance to work on our resumes and cover letters, it allowed us to participate in the interview process where there were really low stakes. Because of this, I felt so comfortable during my interview. I wasn't stressed about if I would really be offered the job or replay what I said during the interview a million times. I was able to be myself and really focus on the flow of the interview process and receive feedback in a professional setting.

To prepare for this interview, I completed my resume and cover letter, reviewed interview resources provided by my professor, and even thought back on my fieldwork experiences to ensure I was prepared for the interview. Even with preparation though, there were still questions thrown at me that I wasn't expecting, such as "what would your friends describe as your strength" and even the dreaded question about salary. Looking back, I think I answered both questions appropriately. I do wish I would have thought more about the salary question beforehand though. I mentioned how I would consider if the company provided mentorship and continuing education reimbursements, which I will definitely use in future interviews, but I wasn't really sure what price range would be appropriate for the setting as a new grad, so I would definitely need to complete more research on the geographic area for future interviews. 

One thing I really was able to recognize in this process was the company isn't only interviewing you, you are interviewing them as well. While new grads are often focused about finding a job (any job), sometimes they miss big question opportunities regarding their new company and end up in settings they aren't happy with. Moving forward in my career, while I will strive to make a good impression on my interviewer, I will try to remember that this opportunity is for me, and I should make sure this company is the right fit for me through the interview process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging & Sexual Health

Driving & Community Mobility